Risk Management Controls
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) mandates that all brokers/dealers trading securities directly on an Exchange or Alternative Trading Systems (ATS) must establish, document, and maintain a system of risk management controls and supervisory procedures. These procedures must be reasonably designed to:
- Systematically limit the financial exposure that would arise as a result of market access to prevent orders that exceed appropriate pre-set credit or capital thresholds, or appear erroneous.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements that are applicable pre-entry on a per-order basis, prevent restricted orders from trading, and restrict unauthorized access.
- Document and record results, provide immediate post-trade execution reports to appropriate surveillance personnel, perform a documented review to demonstrate the effectiveness of the system at least annually, and certify annually.
The problem: This takes time, and for top traders, every nanosecond counts.
Custom Programmable Logic Devices
The challenge is to create a system that:
- Inputs the proprietary information for each customer from the broker
- Inputs every trade from the “naked access customer”
- Undertakes financial risk management control testing and verification
- Sends the valid trades on to the exchange, with the lowest latency impact on each trade
Any delay in verification means a loss of a trading opportunity, and directly impacts the ability of the trading company to compete effectively.
That’s why high-profile names in the financial market rely on advanced, ultra-low latency FPGA technology from New Wave DV to sidestep the main processor and perform verification on the network processing card. It’s how a Fortune 500 company becomes a Fortune 50 company. Contact New Wave DV today for the low latency trading technology you need.
How FPGA Design & Verification Services Work
Verification systems employing the server’s main processors suffer from unacceptable bottlenecks. Tests on file servers using “standard” 10G Ethernet cards for server-network interface have shown that, when performing TCP transfers through their native stacks, even 2.2 GHz processors can be close to 100% utilized but only achieve rates of less than 5 Gbits/s.
The processor consumes significant numbers of processing cycles in the course of traversing through the protocol stack, assembling the data into properly formatted packets, and calculating checksums. Processors become saturated while performing these cycles, even before they are able to reach the 10 Gb/s rates. To solve this problem, engineers utilize specialized hardware that checks for relevant data on the network card and then passes these to the main processor. This approach yields a significant improvement in response time.
Low Latency FPGA Network Processing Cards
To further improve performance and reduce the delays introduced by the verification step, it is possible to sidestep the main processor altogether and perform verification on the network processing card.
New Wave Design and Verification’s network-side processing architecture using low latency FPGAs allows complete monitoring and comparisons to be accomplished at hardware speeds without involving host processors.
This means that trade information never leaves the network card, which allows for ultra-low latency. Memory arrays on New Wave DV products are built to accommodate multiple large, programmable lookup tables and to execute in minimum time, making them ideal for this application.
Our low latency FPGA designs are specifically built to eliminate any latency and overhead found in typical network card designs, including physical interfaces, shortest path routing, and buffers. This provides a significant competitive advantage in a business where having the lowest latency financial risk management control system is a must.
Our Design & Verification Services Work For You
New Wave DV provides best-of-class ultra-low latency 10G Ethernet FPGA cards enabled with an easy to use application development framework. Our team’s expertise comes from years of providing low latency trading technology for the financial markets. We deliver on time and on budget in an industry where every second and every penny makes or breaks a deal.